Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My husband was on life support s daughter called me(s wife,

Customer Question

My husband was on life support his daughter called me(his wife, next of kin)To tell me he died. The Hospital never notified me of his death. When I went to the Hospital his body was already in the morgue. They told me that someone who said she was his wife gave them permission to disconnect his tubes, and send his body to the morgue because no one else was expected to view his body. The hospital apologized. I can't seem to get over their negligence and breach of confidentiality(Joppa law) hi daughter won't communicate with me on what transpired at the hospital. What. Can I do. He died at Georgetown Hosp Nov18 2014. Thanks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry for your loss and the apparent mishandling by the hospital.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

As a rule, they needed to contact you especially if you had power of attorney or otherwise the authority to make decisions concerning health care.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You may consider having counsel reach out to the legal department for the hospital.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Counsel would leverage a possible claim in court to seek out a settlement and an apology for this mishandling

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if that is clear and if I can clarify anything.