RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My mother recently died and her house had a medicaid lien

Customer Question

My mother recently died and her house had a medicaid lien from a nursing home stay. I am her son and would like to buy the house but I don't know where to start. I understand fair market value but the house needs a lot of work and appraisers don't take that into consideration. should I go ahead with a contract to buy to the power of attorney?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.I would gather pics here and maybe have local realtor and contact the estate recovery folks.I have found them reasonable and willing to consider an offer to resolve the lien here.Once resolved and released you will likely have to file probate and be appointed personal representative.Then as PR you can transfer title to yourself individually.

But here I would start with estate recovery and see if they will come down to what you think it is worth also remembering that there will be some probate legal fees, this might add another $2k or so here minimum..

If you have any questions about Estate Recovery, please contact the MO HealthNet Division, Cost Recovery Unit at(###) ###-####

Start here to try and resolve the medicaid lien and see if you can work a deal.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please me let me know if you have more follow up.

Their web page with more information..

http://dss.mo.gov/mhd/general/pages/estate.htm