Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I inherited a manufactured home in a 50 and over park. I

Customer Question

I inherited a manufactured home in a 50 and over park. I have lived there for three years taking care of my mother and 93 year old grandmother. Mom died in January and I own the home. I pay property taxes and all utilities. Now park says I need to fill out a temporary occupancy application or be evicted from my home. They currently have allowed three other people under 50 to own homes in the park. Can they do that? Rent is paid on time and there is not any other issues.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Are you the sole owner now?

.

And you don't have any type of lease with the park owner, correct?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct I'm the sole owner. I have not signed anything with the park, but lived in the home for the last 3 years. They want me to fill out a temporary occupancy application which they said could be denied
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if you aren't under any written or verbal lease with them, and you aren't the legal tenant under any rental agreement, then you are essentially a visitor at best, ***** ***** you own the home, or a trespasser at worst because you don't have any legal rights to be on the property from the landlord.

.

So with that said, you have to enter into some type of contract with the lot owner, be it verbal for a month to month tenancy, or written in the form of a fixed term lease, in order to establish your rights to continue to reside there or the landlord could begin an eviction action to force you to vacate.

.

If they require an occupant to complete some type of application so they can check out their criminal background (which is normally why they require this) then if the occupant refuses, then they can begin the eviction action after giving written notice stating that they were terminating the tenancy.

.

I am sorry the news isn't better, but the residents of a park have to abide by the park rules or they can have their occupancy terminated and be evicted.

.

.

thanks