Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My husband has passed, I have life estate in the house. I am

Customer Question

My husband has passed , I have life estate in the house . I am moving . There are two other exectors of the will . Only I have the life estate . Can I sell the house ?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A life estate gives you what is called "right of use of the property and fruits" or "usufruct" over the property, but is does not give you right of ownership of the property. Upon you abandoning the life estate, the naked owners (beneficiaries of the estate) take ownership in full. The life estate tenant has no right to sell or encumber the property, the naked owners of the property have no rights to interfere with the life estate tenant's rights. So unfortunately, you cannot sell or encumber the estate.