Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

De la Torre. I live in Arizona my question is regarding an

Customer Question

Hello, My name is ***** ***** la Torre. I live in Arizona my question is regarding an inheritance that my ex-wife has gotten recently. She lives in California and we were married for over thirty years. My question is am I entitled to part of her inheritance. We have been divorced for about ten years.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Unless there was some sort of agreement at the time you divorced that she would share her inheritance, which would be unusual, an ex spouse has no legal claim to an inheritance of the other ex spouse.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

For that matter, even if you were still married, an inheritance is presumed to be separate property of the spouse who inherits it.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.