Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

My wife just died, in her will i saids the house goes the my

Customer Question

my wife just died, in her will i saids the house goes the my son, but me her husband can live in the house unitil i die. the question i have , the will was made when we lived at the old address in town, and wasn't changed to the current address, does that make a difference. thanks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Yes it does make a difference although if this a family home you should have a life estate in the property regardless of the will according to the following statute and it's provisions. If the will is specific then only the exact address and the rights conveyed shall be distributed through the will. If your name is ***** ***** deed then you would keep the interest if the property is not described in the will then it will pass according to state law and you would have a portion of the house and be able to own it jointly and reside in the property.

§ 2203. Right of election; resident decedent.

(a) Property subject to election.--Except as provided in subsection (c), when a married person domiciled in this Commonwealth dies, his surviving spouse has a right to an elective share of one-third of the following property:

(1) Property passing from the decedent by will or intestacy.

(2) Income or use for the remaining life of the spouse of property conveyed by the decedent during the marriage to the extent that the decedent at the time of his death had the use of the property or an interest in or power to withdraw the income thereof.

(3) Property conveyed by the decedent during his lifetime to the extent that the decedent at the time of his death had a power to revoke the conveyance or to consume, invade or dispose of the principal for his own benefit.

(4) Property conveyed by the decedent during the marriage to himself and another or others with right of survivorship to the extent of any interest in the property that the decedent had the power at the time of his death unilaterally to convey absolutely or in fee.

(5) Survivorship rights conveyed to a beneficiary of an annuity contract to the extent it was purchased by the decedent during the marriage and the decedent was receiving annuity payments therefrom at the time of his death.

(6) Property conveyed by the decedent during the marriage and within one year of his death to the extent that the aggregate amount so conveyed to each donee exceeds $3,000, valued at the time of conveyance.

In construing this subsection, a power in the decedent to withdraw income or principal, or a power in any person whose interest is not adverse to the decedent to distribute to or use for the benefit of the decedent any income or principal, shall be deemed to be a power in the decedent to withdraw so much of the income or principal as is subject to such power, even though such income or principal may be distributed only for support or other particular purpose or only in limited periodic amounts.

(b) Property not subject to election.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not be construed to include any of the following except to the extent that they pass as part of the decedent's estate to his personal representative, heirs, legatees or devisees:

(1) Any conveyance made with the express consent or joinder of the surviving spouse.

(2) The proceeds of insurance, including accidental death benefits, on the life of the decedent.

(3) Interests under any broad-based nondiscriminatory pension, profit sharing, stock bonus, deferred compensation, disability, death benefit or other such plan established by an employer for the benefit of its employees and their beneficiaries.

(4) Property passing by the decedent's exercise or nonexercise of any power of appointment given by someone other than the decedent.

(c) Nonapplicability.--Pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 3323(d.1) (relating to decree of court), this section shall not apply in the event a married person domiciled in this Commonwealth dies during the course of divorce proceedings, no decree of divorce has been entered pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 3323 and grounds have been established as provided in 23 Pa.C.S. § 3323(g).

(July 11, 1980, P.L.565, No.118, eff. 60 days; Nov. 29, 2004, P.L.1357, No.175, eff. 60 days)

2004 Amendment. Act 175 amended subsec. (a) and added subsec. (c). Section 5(4) of Act 175 provided that the amendment or addition of subsecs. (a) and (c) shall apply to the death of one of the parties on or after the effective date of par. (4) irrespective of whether the divorce proceeding was commenced before, on or after the effective date of par. (4).

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating?