RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My mother is 68 years old, is disabled/ill, and has been

Customer Question

My mother is 68 years old, is disabled/ill, and has been receiving medicaid. She is selling her house now and wants to gift all of the money to me. Will the government demand money? I'm not referring to gift taxes, but rather will they demand payment for
all of the medical bills that they have covered in the past? Thanks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Wisconsin medicaid will deny her if she gifts the money to you.She will have to spend down the funds for her care here as this is considered a resource.She also can pay bills or prepay the funeral .Gifts here a real no no.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Reference..

http://www.seniorcitizensguide.com/articles/detroit/medicaid-danger-making-gifts.htm

She can spend it here on her personal bills and prepaid funeral but medicaid is strict on prohibiting gifts.

I appreciate the chance to help .I would be happy to answer any follow up I want you to understand the law here .Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you can leave a positive rating when we re done it is always sincerely ***** *****