Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My 94 year old mother has been put in a nursing home by my 2

Customer Question

my 94 year old mother has been put in a nursing home by my 2 sisters. my brother and myself was informed after the fact -my mother owns farm property. my brother and me cannot find out about the financial situation - I asked my sister and she refused to talk to me. how can we find out if my mother has given all the property to my sisters - I know that have her checking acct in their name - we feel left out - what can we do without causing a family feud - just want the best for mom one sister has gotten 16 acres of the land- also they sold timber and refused to show us the amount they received. my older sister told me the nursing home will take the farm- I need to research this -
nancy
.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

You can research the title to any real estate owned by your mother. Also, if you believe that you mother lacks capacity to gift any property, you can attempt to gain conservatorship over her financial affairs to prevent anyone from taking advantage of her. Alternatively, you could sue anyone for taking advantage of your mother as financial elder abuse or setting aside ant transfer based upon your mother lacking capacity o contract. But first, a letter to your sisters from an attorney or yourself outlining your concerns disclosing your willingness to file a lawsuit for elder abuse may prevent further fraudulent transfers.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.