Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

I have some clients that need to amend their wills

Customer Question

I have some clients that need to amend their wills immediately before talking off on a trip. Removing 2 names, adding 2 names and amending some businesses that are now closed and property that is now sold.
What is the best way to get his accomplished
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

The best way to amend a will now is just to do an entire new one. There are other things, such as a codicil, which will amend a will but very few lawyers use those now because they have the ability to cause problems due to conflicting language, etc. and were originally used because it was so difficult to redo will in the pre-computer days. Once word processors and computers were integrated into law offices almost all lawyers stopped using codicils.

Most local lawyers can knock out a completely new will with any changes that need to be made within a day or two.