Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

I have lived in the same house since 1979. I took care of my

Customer Question

I have lived in the same house since 1979. I took care of my elderly mother for many years. I have not paid rent for many years. When my mother's estate is settled my bother and I will share equally in 40 acres and this house. My brother, who is executor just said that I must pay 2000 per person, in advance if anyone moves in with me. Can he do that? Would he have to give me eviction time, because if so the estate would probably be settled by the time I would be evicted.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To put is bluntly, no, he cannot do that. if he is listed as the sole owner then YES, he can set rules, conditions, and demand fees, but if you both own the premises jointly, neither of you can charge the other for using the property. It is really that simple and that direct.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.