Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

My father in law passed away recently and lived in a

Customer Question

My father in law passed away recently and lived in a property that was originally deeded to his deceased wife. She passed 10 or so years ago. We went to an attorney and he asked my wife to go to the court house and do the "leg work" to locate a "certain type of document" but it wasn't the deed. I was something that showed she had added his name to the property. My wife went to the court house once and found the paper work but now can't remember what it was called and the attorney who originally helped her is unavailable for several weeks and we need to find whatever this document was again.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Ninety-nine out of 100 times when a person's name is ***** ***** real estate, it is done by a recorded deed. There are different affidavit forms which may do the same thing. A recorded will? Any title insurance agent or company, possibly Realtors too, can obtain searches quickly and find the document that placed a certain person's name on the title to a piece of real estate. The county tax assessor's office can often do the same thing. If you know a real estate lawyer who does real estate it's a phone call to his favorite title agent.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not specific enough to be of value.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

What specificity do you think is lacking? Perhaps a direct phone contact will be more useful. There would be an increased charge for that time. The offer will follow this. My directions will most likely direct you to the document. if you provide me with sufficient detail, I believe I can direct you to where you will find the document