Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

My brother-in-law just passed away an he never changed s

Customer Question

My brother-in-law just passed away an he never changed his executor on his will, his brother was his executor and he passed away 11-21-05 and my brother-in-law never has it changed
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If there is not a backup executor named then you state laws will normally provide the order. Normally spouse goes first, then siblings next, relatives of the same category have the same standing and usually if 1 sibling applies to be executor first then they will normally be named by the court but ultimately it is up to the judge in a case such as that. So to answer your question, it will be provided by statute.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

I see you reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not could you positively rate my answer so I can get credit for my work from the site?