Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have a phone account that I need to pull my deceased

Customer Question

I have a phone account that I need to pull my deceased father's name from and the phone company said that I need to have whoever holds power of attorney over my father's affairs send that power of attorney (with a current notarization) in. I would assume that it was my step-mom who held that, and she asked me what she needs to do for the notarized power of attorney. Looking into it, it looks like her being his spouse does not necessarily give her automatic power of attorney over things (the opposite of what I would have assumed). A second complication is that he actually passed five years ago.
With all that info in play, what do I need to have her do to get the paperwork the phone company wants?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

power of attorney does not last after one passes. when he died his executor of his will or adminstrator of estate where no will would be able to provide that. That is who needs to provide it to phone company. Normally a letter with copy of death certificate and order of adminstration is sufficient.