ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

We thought my mother-in-law was leaving us house, we lived

Customer Question

We thought my mother-in-law was leaving us house, we lived in with her for 34 years to us, and not in will, deed of gift, 12 years old. Turns out its a life estate, my wife 1st grantee, to live in till she passes, and then the house goes to grandchildren, the 2nd grantees. Also there is a life agreement saying my wife as caregiver to be compensated wifh life residence, and proceeds if sold. Are we stuck with that?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds as though she executed this life estate deed prior to the will, so regardless what the will says it would have no effect on the deed itself. If the deed actually says these things for life, and there's no prior deed that was executed by her prior to the life estate deed, then I'm sorry to say that you would be "stuck" with that. There's no "squatter's rights" or anything claim similar to that as the residence was permissive by her.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the 46.00 fee, that I read as my cost, and paid already, is what you get when I rate you?

I actually only get half that, the site gets the other half (as they have all the overhead). But without rating, I don't get anything.

Please note that you have to rate it for me to get paid anything. Thank you.

I see that you have still not rated this answer. Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?