Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My Mom died May, 2014. She left me, my 2 sister, and my

Customer Question

My Mom died May, 2014. She left me, my 2 sister, and my brother everything to be divided equally. She gave her 1st born, my brother, the position of being executioner of her will.
My brother is basically a recluse. He does not communicate with me nor my sisters. Before my Mom died, my brother had been paid (by my sister) who did most of the care for my Mom including paying her bills. She gave him $7,000+ by check (way more than it was worth) to build a side porch with a wheelchair ramp at her side door. He barely got it started when my Mom died. He tried to get paid again by my Mom's lawyer, but my sister had proof that he had already been paid for it. He keeps saying that he will get over there in a few days and start on finishing it, but he never does. He has lied time and time again to the lawyer to try to get more money out of the estate.
The problem now is that he will not agree to selling my Mom's house. Sitting there for over 1 1/3 years has already diminished its' value, I feel sure. The house was built in the 1940s and its' tax value is apx. $107,000.00. It sits on a beautiful lot in a good neighborhood. Is there anything we can do to make him sale or get him to buy us out. My sweet mother would turn over in her grave if she knew that her house was falling apart as she was a very good house-keeper and kept her home as nice as possible.
My sisters and I just want this to be over even if we do not get our fair value of the property. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.
xxxxx xxxxxx ***@******.***
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

A partition to sale the property may be made but that will require a complaint and filing with the court. Here is additional information form a local attorney that offers services to partition to force a sale of real estate: http://deondarzasimmons.com/partition-action-forcing-the-sale-of-shared-real-property/

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.