Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

After being appointed executor of my daughters estate by

Customer Question

After being appointed executor of my daughters estate by Gwinnett County Probate Court , do they automatically put a notice in the paper.I have been contacted by 4 of her debts and don't know if I have to pay them or not, since my name is ***** ***** them
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

Actually, the probate court does not publish the notice to creditors. Rather, it's the job of the executor. Once you are appointed, it's the obligation of the executor to publish a notice to creditors within 60 days of the date you are appointed by the court. This notice to creditors must run for four consecutive weeks in the official newspaper in the county where the estate’s Probate court is located. You can call the court clerk for the property form for this notice. This published notice starts the countdown clock for creditors. Creditors must make known their demands for payment directly to the PR, not the court, within three months after the fourth publication of the notice.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you this was the court's obligation, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!