Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My uncle is dying, I am s executor and POA. s girlfriend is

Customer Question

My uncle is dying, I am his executor and POA. His girlfriend is living with him and I would like to remove her from the home. How do I do this? I live in Virginia.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are his POA (as you being executor means nothing until he dies), then you need to give her written 30 day notice to leave the premises (she has to be treated like a tenant for this purpose) and tell her in the letter if she refuses you will begin legal eviction proceedings against her to have her forcibly removed. If she does not leave in 30 days, then you have to go to court and file a petition for eviction and serve her the petition and a summons to appear and the court will set the case within 14 days and order her to leave the home or they will send the sheriff to remove her.