kumar paturi
kumar paturi, Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I am 90 years old and gave my three children in order of

Customer Question

I am 90 years old and gave my three children in order of age, an irrevocable power of attorney to act on my behalf if I am incompetent. There is also a will and a health care document.
I want to make some changes in these documents. Can i just edit them with a pen and would they still be valid. Or do I have to go through the whole rigmarole with witnesses and justices of the peace and all.
Does making some changes with a pen invalidate them completely? Or would they still be the ruling documents?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  kumar paturi replied 1 year ago.

this is a common situation

the power of attorney form could be changed with a pen, and you making initials in most cases, however to be 100% valid, a new form should be completed. The health care proxy form, can be changed without much effort,

The WILL, could not be changed without a formal document

In CT you only have to complete one form, which is a codicil to change the Will. A Codicil is a document that amends or supplements your existing Last Will and Testament. The advantage to using a Codicil to change your Will is that it allows you to make minor changes to your Will while still keeping your original Will in full force and effect, except for the changes expressly stated in your Codicil.

The problem you may face if you just cross out the original forms is that others may contest the originals with any non changed copies, that is why it is best to make changes with the formal requirements.