Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My father died in texas and the will was drafted in texas, s

Customer Question

My father died in texas and the will was drafted in texas, his safe deposit box and cd are located in new mexico. Do I need to hire an attorney in new mexico to gain access to the banking issues
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

What you need to do in a situation such as this is to file what is called an ancillary probate proceeding in New Mexico to handle the transfer of the property located in New Mexico. An ancillary probate proceeding basically piggy backs off the probate proceeding in Texas to give the executor the authority to access the New Mexico property. You will need to engage an attorney in NM to handle this, but it's a simple process and the cost should be minimal.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!