Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

Can a trustee of a irrevocable trust be a beneficiary and

Customer Question

Can a trustee of a irrevocable trust be a beneficiary and receive proceeds from the trust?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Yes, a trustee can also be a beneficiary. Trustee and beneficiary can be the same person, what governs is who placed the funds into the trust itself. But if that is different from the trustee and the beneficiary, such as in a 'pour over' trust that closes at probate, the trustee can manage the trust and provide the proceeds to himself or herself if that person is listed as the beneficiary.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I did not know how to open your response and have just figured it out, obviously.Three follow up questions:
How can I determine if the trustee is a beneficiary?
What if the trustee is not a beneficiary, can they still receive proceeds from the trust?
Can beneficiaries request complete disclosure of a trust? As in the present trust's terms and future dispositions of the trust?Thank you:
Philip Groce