Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My mother died in AZ without a will. She owned a

Customer Question

My mother died in AZ without a will. She owned a manufactured home that is worthless and needs to be demolished. She has some stock work about $3.000. I am her only heir. I paid for her cremation and that cost $2100. Can I walk away?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My condolences to you on your loss.

Yes, you can simply walk away. You, as a beneficiary, DO NOT have to accept the funds from the estate OR the debts. Therefore, so long as you pay for the cremation, you are free to walk away without obligation. Her debts are not yours, and you do not have to deal with any of it unless it is somehow in your name. If not, it is no longer your responsibility.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.