Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

I was the beneficiary on my brothers IRA and savings

Customer Question

I was the beneficiary on my brothers IRA and savings account.... I closed them and moved the money to my account. I didn't want family to know I received the money. Another family member called the bank months after and found out I was the beneficiary after the bank told me there was no way for anyone to find out. What should I do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

What bank is at issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mississippi Telco Federal Credit Union

The ban did disclose private information that should have not been disclosed. You could sue them for such violations but it would come down to what type of damages you would be entitled to. What type of injury did this event cause you? A lawsuit costs a lot of time and money to prosecute. Perhaps sending a letter explaining to the bank that they invaded your privacy may be the best thing under these circumstances and move on. but if such violations caused so much turmoil between you and your family it may be worth it to file suit.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate y answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.