Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My mom recently passed away in May. She did not have a will.

Customer Question

my mom recently passed away in May. She did not have a will. I would like to probate her property. She has 4 children. I am the youngest and the only son. She left her life insurance policy in my name and asked that I oversee her property upon her death. She made my siblings aware of her wishes. Because of rivalry among my older siblings I have three questions.
when am I eligible to probate her property? when should I get started with the process? and how should I start?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

------When am I eligible to probate her property?------

------when should I get started with the process?------

You can open probate anytime after she has died. So, now is appropriate to commence with filing a petition.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

-----How should I start? -----

You start by filing a petition in the probate court for the county where she lived on the date she died. You need to give notice to all the other sibs and other relatives. The court will have a hearing to appoint you as a representative of the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Which county would you be filing in?