Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My son is getting inheritance money. I am the person over

Customer Question

My son is getting inheritance money. I am the person over her estate and trust. It is only 2000.00. she told me what the money is suppose to be used for before she died. Do I need to put this money in account until he is 18.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Can you provide me a bit more information? Is the money to be used for something now or for something that will happen later? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
verbal conversation was the money is supposed to use to help with education now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your quick reply. If he's in private school, then you can apply it to that at this point. If he's in public school, there would be no education cost now so you would need to put it into an account to hold until it can be used for education purposes. In that case, you would want to put it in a uniform gift to minors account for his benefit with you as custodian. You will then have control over the account until it can be used for its intended purpose.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!