RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

Can one choose to add children' s names to a deed as opposed

Customer Question

Can one choose to add children' s names to a deed as opposed to creating a trust.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

You certainly can do so.You want to add them as joint tenants with right of survivorship.That way it passes to them upon your death.NY law allows for you to do this.

Reference

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GeneralTaxInformation/Tax%20Types%20and%20Information/Pages/Inheritance-Tax.aspx

In NY when property is owned by joint tenants with the right of survivorship, the property is equally distributed among the remaining owners when one of the owners dies.This is another means to avoid probate without having a trust.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the chance to help you.If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is sincerely appreciated.