Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

In 2009 my sister and I became join executors of our parents

Customer Question

In 2009 my sister and I became join executors of our parents estate. She refused a relator so we listed it our selves at 685,000. We had a gentleman firm up a deal with us for the exact amount. The last day my sister received a phone call from in the last moments to clench the deal and asked my sister if he could get out of the deal, without asking me, and I was right there she released him from the deal and once off the phone she announced to me the deal we wanted and the money we wanted and she let him out of the sale!!!!!
Then months later another gentleman showed up with an off of 625,000. In the mean time my sister realized I was hurting for money and she was concerned that me creditors would come and put a lean on the house. I was not the deep in the hole but she presumed I was. She then blamed me for taking the smaller amount.
At my sisters law office where I presumed I was going to get my cheque, everything but happened. Ist I didn't need legal counsel, didn't know I needed it. My sister started off by telling me that our mother wanted her to receive 20,000 more than me. Next she wanted me to pay the legal fees plus 60,000 more to make up for the price she wanted and I wasn't letting her hold out for a larger price 685,000? We were already there but she declined it, I had no idea what she was doing. Then she wouldn't let her lawyer release my portion of the inheritance until he had paid off my debts.. My money and she was dictating as to what to do with it. Do I have the option of going after her now to regain that monies? I haven't seen my mothers will, can I do that now? If you feel I would have a chance in pursuing this lost monies could you please tell me what type of lawyer do I require?
Marlene Telfer ***@******.***
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First of all, your sister cannot just say what your mom wanted. Unless any of this is written in a will or trust, your sister is a liar and she is trying to defraud you. So yes, you need a probate or estate law attorney and yes, you have grounds to challenge her because she is trying to stick it to you and take money she is not entitled to unless there is an actual will that says she is to get $20,000 more than you and that you are to pay the attorney's fees.
It is amazing how family treats one another in these situations and also a shame that a sister would stoop so low to do this.