Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

Taxpayer died owning business real estate titled in s

Customer Question

Taxpayer died owning business real estate titled in his revocable trust. Trust is now irrevocable and owns the property. Will the property be stepped up in basis (in the now irrevocable trust) as it was fully depreciated prior to his death ?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Yes, the property does get the basis adjusted to its fair market value as of the date of death. Being that the trust was revocable until death, it is considered owned by the taxpayer at the time of death. Only upon his death did the trust become irrevocable. Thus, because it is considered owned by taxpayer at death, the property is entitled to a basis adjustment. :)
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!