Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I have a question regarding the difference between fiduciary

Customer Question

I have a question regarding the difference between fiduciary and executor. I have been named the executor of my father's estate. However the only court document with an official seal says I am the fiduciary. Is this one and the same. I need an official document for the DMV. Thanks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
A fiduciary is someone who stands in a special relationship of trust with another person. An executor is a type of fiduciary, as is a trustee.
A personal representative is a type of fiduciary, as well.
If your late father's will names you as executor then you need to be appointed by the court. Then the court issues "letters testamentary", which you can present to others as proof of your official fiduciary capacity.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have follow up questions feel free to ask. It is never a problem.
Best regards.