Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My brother has POA over our mother who had a stroke which

Customer Question

My brother has POA over our mother who had a stroke which paralyzed her and took her voice. She is living in a group home which is paid for by her long term care insurance. Meanwhile my brother is spending her SS plus her investments on his personal gain.
He lived in her home for 10 years free and trashed the house, moved out without contacting me so long time neighbor called to let me know he had left over 6 weeks before. I went to house to secure it and it was trashed (have photos). what should I do now?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

The only option would be to file a complaint in court against the brother for breaching his fiduciary duty at POA and seek an injunction and all monies wrongfully spent. The court has the power to eject this person as POA. The only other way to prevent any further wrongdoing is to hope the brother voluntarily stops upon request.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.