Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

Of my parent's Trust (they are both deceased). I have one

Customer Question

I am Trustee of my parent's Trust (they are both deceased). I have one brother, who is named in a Special Needs Trust under the family Trust. I want to liquidate the assets and create a new family trust, while maintaining the "sub-trust" provisions for my brother. He and I live 400 miles apart, and I would like to establish a trust with a bank in my city.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

You will need to examine the trust language in order to ascertain your rights as trustee to do what you are proposing. Most trusts allow the trustee this power in order to create separate trusts for each beneficiary, but you will again have to read the trust to ascertain if this is possible. So yes his is entirely possible if the trust language allows it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.