Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

Can a Pennsylvania notary notarize a Will executed in New

Customer Question

Can a Pennsylvania notary notarize a Will executed in New Jersey?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

In New Jersey, you do not need to notarize your will to make it legal. However, New Jersey allows you to make your will "self-proving" and you'll need to go to a notary if you want to do that. A self-proving will speeds up probate because the court can accept the will without contacting the witnesses who signed it. To make your will self-proving you and your witnesses will go to the notary and sign an affidavit that proves who you are and that each of you knew you were signing the will. As long as the notary notarizes the document in Pennsylvania in accordance with New Jersey state law regarding the language of the notarization, it should be valid. The notarization must take place in Pennsylvania and not in New Jersey for it to be valid.

See link from the American Society of notaries: http://www.asnnotary.org/?form=jurisdictionissues

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Do you need help with the rating system? We answer these questions with the expectation that our work will be compensated by the site. Without your positive rating that won't happen, so if you could take the extra step and help me out, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.