Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My step father has put my mom in a nursing home due to her

Customer Question

My step father has put my mom in a nursing home due to her advanced alzheimers. He is now incapacitated with renal failure and is in a separate care home. Their house is in my mothers name. His daughter is living there and he won't let me come stay at the house so i can visit my mom. I live in Hawaii and they are in Arizona. My mom had told me that when she dies the house will go to me, her only surviving child. What rights do I have to stay in my moms home when i come to visit?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If the house is still in mother's name, then it is still her property and even if his daughter is living there, then unless mother objects to you staying there, then there is nothing that would prevent you from doing so.
.
While you have no legal claim to the house currently, if it is in mother's sole name, then only she could object to you staying there.
.
.
thanks