Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

My mother in law and father in law own their home in new

Customer Question

My mother in law and father in law own their home in new jersey for 60 years.
My father in law passsed away 6 years ago
Their son has lived in the home for 50 years, never paid any bills until about three months ago when he finally agreed to pay the taxes, he still lives there and my mother in law lives with my wife and i because of her poor health,she needs 24 hour care and the son is not willing to participate
Finally my question. My mother in law and my wife are worried that he might try taking the house from her estate,,even though my wife is power of attorney, he and another brother are the executors of the will, the will calls for equal distribution between the three children
Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

AS long as no one convinces MIL to change her will, your wife should be protected. Once the will is probated in court, the brothers must recognize her one-third ownership. Even without a will, she would inherit equally with

them.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.