Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.
7286322

Can a trustee sell a house in an irrevocable trust dollar?

Customer Question

Can a trustee sell a house in an irrevocable trust for a dollar?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
They CAN if the trust instrument allows them to do so specifically.
If not, then the Trustee HAS to exercise diligent and reasonable fiduciary duty while maintaining the trust, which includes not selling off assets for virtually nothing, of course. Again, the exception is if the trust instrument allows it, OR, this sale is being done to give the home to the beneficiary per trust instructions, and the $1 figure is just symbolic.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.