RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My step father remarried and has not been appointed

Customer Question

my step father remarried and has not been appointed administrator what is he entitled to
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

Georgia has laws of intestacy and spousal share as well.

The site below sets out the spousal share in Georgia.The probate court would deal with this and divide it up according to the laws of intestacy and spousal share below.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-georgia.html

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
The step father gets a 1/3 and you and your siblings get 2/3 , the 2/3 is divided between siblings evenly under Georgia law..
Example..
Example: Bill is married to Karen, and they have three grown children. Bill and Karen own a house in joint tenancy, and Karen is also the named beneficiary of Bill’s retirement account. When Bill dies, Karen automatically inherits the house and any remaining retirement funds; those things are not intestate property. Bill also owns $300,000 worth of other property that would have passed under a will, so Karen inherits 1/3 -- that is, $100,000 worth -- of that property . The three children split the remaining $200,000 worth of Bill’s intestate property.
I am so sorry for your loss.If you can leave a positive rating it is much appreciated.Thansk again.