Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

When loved one dies and I notify social security do they

Customer Question

When loved one dies and I notify social security do they also need a death certificate I was told my funeral home can take care of that these days and ss did not tell me to send one is that correct am confused
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.
My condolences for your loss.
The funeral home will provide you death certificates. Contact the deceased's bank to report the death. Banks require proof of death, such as a certified death certificate. Ask the bank to return any money deposited in the account from Social Security from the month after the beneficiary's death forward. Social Security is one month behind, so if the person died in March, the benefit from March would be paid in April. Since the person died in March, you must return the money received in April for March.
If SSA requested a death certificate then send it.
Best regards.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?