How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is a 38 year old disabled man. He has been disabled

Customer Question

My son is a 38 year old disabled young man. He has been disabled since birth diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. He did not walk until age seven after ham string and heal cord surgeries. He attended school and received a Special Education High School diploma, but he is now pretty much confined to his wheelchair. For the last fifteen years he has been employed part-time by the Darden Corporation and is a kitchen helper/host at our local Olive Garden restaurant. He receives a Social Security Income ($829 mo.) and Medicare Benefits as well as personal healthcare services under what used to be called Med Waiver.
MY QUESTION IS---His grandmother passed 15 years ago but left him stock in G.E. (approx. $60,00). His cousin (the executrix of the will) maintains that those stocks were to be held until both of his parents were that time the cousin was to take him in and care for him with those funds. There is nothing in this codicil that says that the money needs to be held until the decease of his parents.
MY CONCERN IS-- My husband is recently deceased and I am approaching seventy and not in good health. I want to provide for my son NOW so his physical, mental, and social well-being will be maintained now that I am older and AFTER MY PASSSING.
ADD TO THE MIX---my husband has not been on speaking turns with his family since this money was held in this manner. This Executrix knows that my husband is deceased, even came to his funeral but I have not heard a word from the cousin since.
THE BOT***** *****NE--my son and I have little to no money to pursue legal action in this matter
I AM LOOKING FOR an attorney who can approach this cousin and request IN MY SONS NAME ONLY that the money be GIVEN to him or placed immediately an ACCESSIBLE TRUST FUND now! He has therapy needs now that he is getting older and will need housing and living expenses to supplement his SSI when I am deceased but also in the here and now since I am elderly.
FINALLY--The Will, Codicil and the Cousin are all in New York......We are living in Florida.
WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU GIVE US. ***@******.***(###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that none of the attorneys on this site are allowed by state law to represent anyone from this site, it is forbidden in the laws. All we can do is provide information to customers but if an attorney is needed, they have to hire one locally.
If you want only information we could provide that, but we cannot do more than that for you.