Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

Are benefits from Life insurance policies considered part of

Customer Question

Are benefits from Life insurance policies considered part of the Estate, in NY?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Proceeds from a life insurance policy pass outside of probate in New York and are not considered part of the estate. These proceeds are a payable on death benefit therefore when the decedent passes it is not be considered part of the state as through operation of law the proceeds pass to the beneficiary at that point.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will compensated from the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)