Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My uncle passed away last year and let no one in charge of s

Customer Question

My uncle passed away last year and let no one in charge of his house. (which both my grandparents live in) He was never married or had no kids. He left all his life insurance to my grandparents but that was it. The bank is now wanting to take possession of the home due to unpaid mortgage payments. I want to take over the house and take all responsibilities regarding the place. Since my grandparents can't afford it. I went to the court house and they told me I needed to file a Probate. My question is how can I find out how much the house is worth really? I don't want to spend money on legal fees if the house cost to much. I'm currently searching for a home now and everything's extremely high. No one will give me that information of course because he was the only one listed on the account. I want to file with the courts to try and get my uncles house especially since this is all we have left of him. Can anyone point me to the right direction
Thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first place to go to find the value of the house is the tax assessor's office. The second place to check the value of that house and other similar houses in the area is http://www.zillow.com. Usually, between those two resources, you will be able to determine the value. Once you come up with that value, then you need to check with a local real estate agent in the area to verify whether or not you have accurately determined the price/value for your area.