Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

12k estate no money left to pay 4 other heirs what do I do

Customer Question

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Can you give me some additional information regarding your question? What state? Have you filed probate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nj and I don't think so
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.
Under New Jersey statute, where as estate is valued at less than $20,000, a surviving spouse may present an affidavit of a small estate before the Superior Court. Upon the execution and filing of the affidavit, the surviving spouse shall have all of the rights, powers and duties of an administrator duly appointed for the estate.
TITLE 3B ADMINISTRATION OF ESTATES–DECEDENTS AND OTHERS
3B:10-3. When spouse entitled to assets without administration
Where the total value of the real and personal assets of the estate of an intestate will not exceed $20,000.00, the surviving spouse upon the execution of an affidavit before the surrogate of the county where the intestate resided at his death, or, if then nonresident in this State, where any of the assets are located, or before the Superior Court, shall be entitled absolutely to all the real and personal assets without administration, and the assets of the estate up to $5,000.00 shall be free from all debts of the intestate. Upon the execution and filing of the affidavit as provided in this section, the surviving spouse shall have all of the rights, powers and duties of an administrator duly appointed for the estate. The surviving spouse may be sued and required to account as if he had been appointed administrator by the surrogate or the Superior Court. The affidavit shall state that the affiant is the surviving spouse of the intestate and that the value of the intestate’s real and personal assets will not exceed $20,000.00, and shall set forth the residence of the intestate at his death, and specifically the nature, location and value of the intestate’s real and personal assets. The affidavit shall be filed and recorded in the office of such surrogate or, if the proceeding is before the Superior Court, then in the office of the clerk of that court. Where the affiant is domiciled outside this State, the surrogate may authorize in writing that the affidavit be executed in the affiant’s domicile before any of the officers authorized by R.S. 46:14-7 and R.S. 46:14-8 to take acknowledgments or proofs.
3B:10-4. When heirs entitled to assets without administration
Where the total value of the real and personal assets of the estate of an intestate will not exceed $5,000.00 and the intestate leaves no surviving spouse, and one of his heirs shall have obtained the consent in writing of the remaining heirs, if any, and shall have executed before the surrogate of the county where the intestate resided at his death, or, if then nonresident in this State, where any of the intestate’s assets are located, or before the Superior Court, the affidavit herein provided for, shall be entitled to receive the assets of the intestate of the benefit of all the heirs and creditors without administration or entering into a bond. Upon executing the affidavit, and upon filing it and the consent, he shall have all the rights, powers and duties of an administrator duly appointed for the estate and may be sued and required to account as if he had been appointed administrator by the surrogate or the Superior Court.
The affidavit shall set forth the residence of the intestate at his death, the names, residences and relationships of all of the heirs and specifically the nature, location and value of the real and personal assets and also a statement that the value of the intestate’s real and personal assets will not exceed $5,000.00.
The consent and the affidavit shall be filed and recorded, in the office of the surrogate or, if the proceeding is before the Superior Court, then in the office of the clerk of that court. Where the affiant is domiciled outside this State, the surrogate may authorize in writing that the affidavit be executed in the affiant’s domicile before any of the officers authorized by R.S. 46:14-7 and R.S. 46:14-8 to take acknowledgments or proofs.
Creditors and last illness as well as burial expenses can be deducted from the amount. If the decedent dies without a Will (intestate), there is a statute which determines to whom the decedent's property is to be distributed according to the degree of family relationship.
In New Jersey, in typical cases where there is a surviving spouse and children(all of whom are also the children of the surviving spouse), the spouse is entitled to the first $50,000.00 of the estate and any amount over $50,000.00 is divided equally between the children and the spouse.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)
I see you have reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.
Is there anything I can do for a positive rating?
Do you need help with the rating system? We answer these questions with the expectation that our work will be compensated by the site. Without your positive rating that won't happen, so if you could take the extra step and help me out, I would appreciate it. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.