Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My father became terminally ill in June. Upon learning of

Customer Question

My father became terminally ill in June. Upon learning of his impending death he took care of the majority of his assets. He "gifted" all his autos to me thru the county clerks office. He withdrew his $ from the bank and gave to me. He drew up a "quitclaim
Deed" for his house and properties which was signed and notarized prior to his death and recorded in the courthouse on the Monday following his death on Saturday. I believed he had taken care of everything, however, I have since learned he had two credit cards
with outstanding balances on them. I called today and cancelled the cards which combined had balances totaling 12k. Would I be responsible for the payment of these balances with any of his assets since they were not in his name at the time of his death...I
now know why he was so quick to want to transfer everything to me prior to his death. I do not have a will or am I his executor. I am, however, his only relative and the receiver of those assets prior to his death. The only thing I do have is 2 mortgage notes
I am collecting on. Properties on in the owners name...My dad was just the mortgage holder.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Would I be responsible for the payment of these balances with any of his assets since they were not in his name at the time of his death....You have no personal liability to pay his debts unless you were a cosigner on the accounts. The creditors would have to come after his estate to demand payment as their only recourse..And if there is no estate and no one opens one because there are no assets to dispose of, the the creditors just lose out in a situation like this...thanksBarrister