Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

So the attorney gave me the wrong advice to just let it go and don't fight it? After

Customer Question

So the attorney gave me the wrong advice to just let it go and don't fight it? After my wife passed, I went to the accountant' office where she apparently changed the beneficiary. He would give me no further information as to when the happened. I talked to my attorney and he said that I should just let it go because it would end up in probate and no one would ever see the money and it would cost me more that I could ever come up with. I wasn't thinking clearly at that time and I let it go. I had gone thru all my retirement money to help her with her medical expenses and this was over 580,000 she gave to a friend - who I know who this is. I have read that the law states that a spouse must notify the other spouse when changing beneficiary on a retirement fund - such as a 401K. Shouldn't the accountant have know this law? - I believe it was put in place by Reagan.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't thinking clearly at that time and I let it go.
When did all these things take place. That is: 1. The change of beneficiary; 2. the death of your wife.