Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

My wife signed changed the beneficiary on her large 401K and

Customer Question

My wife signed changed the beneficiary on her large 401K and didn't find out after she died. I think I know who received the money - but my wife had copd and congestive heart failure and I was her caretaker. She was not of sound mind at this time, and I feel she may have been coerced into this by the friend that received it.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear about that. Changes of beneficiary are subject to claims of undue influence; however, unless a suit is started BEFORE the benefit is paid out, there is little chance of ever recovering the money. You should consult with a local attorney before much more time passes.