Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

I have a dear friend who has while been helping me me

Customer Question

I have a dear friend who has for a while been helping me me financially by giving me his card to buy groceries and petrol and some other things on a regular basis for some time, he's always told me this is my gift to you as you are not in my will. Now that I'm starting to support myself , I've sort of been stressing that if he passed away there would be no proof that it was offered and given freely by him what can or should I do to protect myself . He is with me whilst I'm typing this . Thanks Camille and Tom
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Can you provide me a bit more information? I'm presuming he's mentally competent, is that correct? Also, are you an authorized user on the card or simply using the one with his name? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he is mentally competent and no I'm just using his cars when he gives it to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Card
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. What I would suggest you do is have your friend write a letter of explanation specifying that he is of sound mind and that he specifically authorized your use of the cards as a gift to you. I would have two independent witnesses sign the letter as witnesses and have it notarized. Going further, I would actually videotape your friend reading this letter with your witnesses present so that anyone contesting that he wrote this letter under duress would be negated by the existence of the videotape proving your friend's state of mind. :)
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!