Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

The Father of my gf died. He left a sizeable estate in the

Customer Question

The Father of my gf died. He left a sizeable estate in the Halifax bank of England.
My gf is studying to be a nurse so she has not the time to deal with this so she has named me her beneficiary. The Halfax bank is holding these funds and has been holding them for a long time. They wrote to me yesterday and demanded 3,500 as a clearing fee, then they supposedly will wire the funds to my bank. This is a foreign idea to me having inheritated money from both an Aunt, and a Uncle, any fees were always taken from the Estate and the only item payable by myself were of course income tax. Charles Nigl
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. It's highly unlikely this is anything but a scam. These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. The fact they want you to send money confirms that it's a scam for you. You should never send them any money up front or provide them any information about your bank accounts. If they want you to pay them anything to get your money, it's a scam. If there is an inheritance, they can deduct any expenses, taxes, fees, etc., from the inheritance. if they tell you this is not possible, it's because there is in fact no inheritance from which to deduct these costs. There are no sets of circumstances where if there is truly an inheritance that you should have to do anything but receive your money net of any expenses. If they tell you otherwise, all that tells you is there is no inheritance and you are being scammed. This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry! Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!