Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

This is both an estate and real estate law question. I would

Customer Question

This is both an estate and real estate law question. I would like to pay off – purchase the mortgage on my 76-year-old mother's primary residence. The payoff would constitute a minimum of 75% of the properties market value. Will this affect the subject to probate, or counted as I'm my mothers ask that? Can I still have her as a joint tenant and protect my percentage of actual cash investment and any subsequent percentage of appreciation that constitutes? how do I go about this? Do I need to purchase agreement? Do I need an appraisal
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..Are you loaning the money to mother to pay off her mortgage?.Or are you gifting her the money to do so?.Will mother be required to pay you back for the money paid?.Will both you and mother be on the deed as equal joint tenants with right of survivorship? .Or will you be tenants in common on the deed with you owning a 75% interest and her a 25% interest?.""Will this affect the subject to probate, or counted as I'm my mothers ask that?"".I don't quite understand this question.....thanksBarrister