Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My step father died in April 2015 and I am his executor. He

Customer Question

My step father died in April 2015 and I am his executor. He was in a nursing home using Medicare and Medicaid. He had used all assets except $1500 and had a will. All known bills have been paid. Would probate court be the next step and what forms must I use?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. My condolences on your loss. In what state did he live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OH
That makes it a bit easier. If he had no assets, you can file for a 'small estate affidavit' which cuts down on the process and the filing substantially. Please contact the county probate court where your step father resided and obtain the forms--here is a pamphlet from the Franklin County probate court which explain the process and the forms--but as each county may have slightly different forms, contacting them would be best. This document will give you an excellent summary of the process. https://www.franklincountyohio.gov/probate/assets/pdf/Pamphlets/Small_Estates.pdf Sincerely, ***** *****