Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor. I run my own practice that specializes in Estate Preparation and Administration
18572087

My father past away last week. My father financed a truck thru

Customer Question

my father past away last week. My father financed a truck thru ford motor credit. My fathers name is ***** ***** truck but, my mothers name is ***** ***** father has paid all the notes on time. the loan was for about 35K, the payoff is now around 14K. Because my parents are married in the state of louisiana, does my mother legally own the truck and can she make payments on it. Both my father(deceased) and my mother have a joint checking account. Please advise.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. My condolences to you on your loss. Was the vehicle purchased while married or prior to marriage? While Louisiana is a community property state, if she is not on title and the vehicle is not yet paid off, it really belongs to the lender. But you or your mother can contact the lender, provide them with a copy of the death certificate, and ask that the title and loan be transferred over to her. In that situation she would be able to own the vehicle and pay it off.Sincerely,Dimitry, Esq.