Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I am the POA my parents. They live in NY and I live

Customer Question

I am the POA for both my parents. They live in NY and I live in VA. They cannot drive anymore so they are letting a cousin of mine use thier car for her personal use as long as she does errands for them. My parents are paying for the insurance and upkeep of the car. My question is, am I liable if she gets in a bad accident. My parents house has been in my name for 20 years. Thanks. Mary
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Barrister and I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can..No, a POA holder just has the legal authority to act on behalf of the grantor of that power if they choose to do so. But they have no legal liability for the grantor if the grantor was sued or incurred some type of liability or debt..So they share power with the grantor of the POA, but do not have any legal liability...thanksBarrister