Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

How much are the lawyers fees if there is a valid will?

Customer Question

how much are the lawyers fees if there is a valid will?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
There is no set fee. The probate process itself is fairly simple and should not require a fee of more than $1000-$1500. The legal fees for help in administering the estate can vary depending upon the complication of the estate assets. If the assets are made up of a few financial assets and a car and house, the fee should be small; if, on the other hand, the estate assets are comprised of all kinds of different types of assets which require a lot of work, such as tracking down multiple mineral interests in different states, obviously the time is going to be greater and so is the fee. For that same reason, you want to make sure you engage an attorney on an hourly rate rather than a percentage of the value of the assets.
Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, if the estate is not overly complicated, you would only need a 1-2 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!